The Dimensions of You
Learning is revered among our residents. Opportunities are abundant for continued education. Developed in association with the University of Virginia, the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI) conducts university-level classes for older adults. Many classes are held at Westminster-Canterbury of the Blue Ridge. You might even find your neighbor as one of the instructors.
At Westminster-Canterbury of the Blue Ridge, there is plenty to do, and every day is different. While one day may take you outside of the community to experience lifelong learning, the next day you may choose to
Take On the Day
Fitness & Aquatics Center
Take on the day with the very finest exercise and fitness programs and facilities. Our 16,000-square-foot Fitness and Aquatics Center features two indoor saline pools (a lap pool and an activity pool) and a spa.
- An enclosed walking track overlooks the pools.
- The exercise room includes three treadmills, two Ellipticals, five NuSteps, one recumbent bicycle, one recumbent elliptical, one seated total trainer, a free-weight station with medicine balls, dumbbells and ankle weights, and a seven-machine resistance training circuit with HUR air resistance.
- Seven machines allow one to perform 12 different exercises.
- Stretch station, mat table, and balance equipment.
- Choose from over 30 land- and water-based classes offered weekly. Aquatics classes are offered daily, Monday through Friday, with a broad range of exercises appealing to a variety of levels.
- One-on-one sessions can be arranged with a fitness team member or physical therapist.
- Massage on site with a certified massage therapist (services extended to residents in the care areas).
- Nutrition services in conjunction with dietician; educational insights on the role of daily nutrition for overall wellness.
- Personal training programs with well qualified fitness and aquatic trainers who support and guide you.
The fitness programs include a wide variety of group exercise classes focusing on balance (e.g., Tai Chi), strength, cardio, yoga, and pilates. The fitness team members are certified personal trainers and well qualified to provide the necessary support and guidance to achieve your personal health and wellness goals.
Opportunities for mental and intellectual stimulation abound, from numerous resident discussion groups and committees to classroom lectures offered through the University of Virginia Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI). Additionally, Westminster-Canterbury of the Blue Ridge has invested in Dakim Brain Health Program. To create the most effective brain-training program, Dakim determined it had to move beyond the limitations of simple brain games. Instead, Dakim developed a unique, scientifically-based, patented brain training protocol—a comprehensive brain-training program driven by Dakim’s patented NuroLogic™ Technology that tailors the focus and the level of challenge of the exercises in real time to maximize the effectiveness of every brain training session. The effectiveness of this approach has been supported by the results of a peer-reviewed clinical trial conducted by UCLA.
As a diverse faith-based community, our resident and associate needs are taken very seriously. There are many opportunities to grow and deepen their journey of faith and spirituality through bible study, meditation, labyrinth walks, worship services (including a weekly vespers service), special days of remembrance, musical performances, and presentations. We have a full-time chaplain who identifies and responds to pastoral care needs, coordinates religious programming, provides support groups and memorial services, and acts as a liaison between us and the local faith community.
The Resident Chaplaincy Support Committee works with our chaplain to provide support and assistance in assuring that we offer spiritual, intellectual, and ethical programs that appeal to a broad spectrum of the residential community.
- Walk the Nature Trail featuring a stocked pond, gazebo, and walking path in a 17-acre protected habitat
- Play a friendly game of pool in the Billiard Room.
- Create a stunning arrangement in the Flower Room.
- With so many reasons to celebrate at Westminster-Canterbury of the Blue Ridge—birthdays, holidays, and other special occasions—come join us!
- Make a memorable gift for your grandchild in the Wood Shop.
- Peruse the Gift Shop. (All proceeds benefit the Fellowship Program.)
- Pamper yourself in the Salon.
- See a film or attend a lecture in the new 56-seat theater.
- Join one of over 30 classes offered in the Fitness and Aquatics Center.
- Reflect, pray, worship, or meditate in the Chapel.
- Get your hands dirty while planting your favorite flowers in the raised garden beds in the Garden Overlook.
- Swim a few laps in one of our two pools.
- Participate in field trips to a variety of destinations, including performances, historical sites, restaurants, etc. In addition, transportation is available to and from several churches in the area on Sunday.
- Enjoy quiet reading or check out a book from our 9,000+ volume library.
- Reserve one of our many common areas, such as the Rogan Lounge or Monticello Room, to host friends or clubs for special gatherings. Catering services are always available to compliment your event.